I have lived in northern climates most of my life, with the latter part of it in Fairbanks, Alaska. Compelled by Alaska’s natural beauty, I ditched a 10-year career in geology to explore and photograph the vast landscapes and wildlife of the north. Both nature and a camera have intrigued me since childhood and now, as a freelance nature photographer and natural history guide, I’ve been researching and planning tours for the past two decades.
This continuing process will result in more new and interesting locations. The following current trips are the fruits of my explorations, and feature Alaska’s Arctic and other world destinations including the Galapagos and Antarctica. It is my goal to offer guided, small group trips to see and photograph unusual wildlife spectacles, great light and stunning natural scenery.
Sign up on my Notification List to stay informed.
As a photographer Hugh has spent a significant part of his career photographing in the Arctic and feels that this environment offers some of the most incredible raw beauty in North America. His photographs have appeared in Sierra Club Calendars, NorthernLight Calendars, Denali Wilderness Calendars, National Trade Magazines, Frommer’s Travel Guide, Alaska Airlines Magazine, Outdoor Life, BBC, National Wildlife Federation, and numerous other publications.
2017 – 2108 Tours
Wildlife and Bird Migration Photo Tour
- May 6 – May 18, 2017: Guided by Hugh Rose (Full)
Two weeks of incredible photography of marine and terrestrial mammals in the rainforest environment of Prince William Sound and viewing and photography of millions of migrating shorebirds on the Copper River Delta and in Prince William Sound
North to South
Prince William Sound and Denali
- July 26 – Aug 6, 2017: Guided by Hugh Rose (Sold out)
- Aug 15 – Aug 25, 2017: Guided by Hugh Rose (2 SPACES AVAILABLE)
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or check Discovery Voyages for information on either trip. Explore the marine ecosystem and rainforest of Prince William Sound on board the Discovery, combined with three days in Denali National Park at Skyline Lodge
Cheeseman’s Alaska Arctic
Aurora and Polar Bears
- Sept 1 – Sept 10, 2017: With Cheeseman’s Ecology Safaris, Guided by Hugh Rose (2 SPACES AVAILABLE)
Arctic Alaska Photo Tour
Polar Bears, Northern Lights, Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Polar Bears Photo Tour
- Sept 23-29 Kaktovik Alaska Polar Bears: Guided by Steve Kazlowski; 2017 September
Cheeseman’s Falkand Islands – Antarctic Penninsula
- Feb 1 – 18, 2018: Seven Island circuit in the Falkland Islands with Cheesemans Ecology Safaris and Hugh Rose as Expedition leader
- Feb 18 – Mar 4, 2018: Antarctic Peninsula Deep South with Cheesemans Ecology Safaris and Hugh Rose as Expedition Staff
Enchanted Galapagos Islands
- April 1 – 11, 2018: Enchanted Galapagos Islands Depart/Return Quito Ecuador (Space Available)
- Small group of 12-13 participants
- Guided by Hugh Rose